Monday 3 November 2014

Fatal Abduction by Julia Crane RELEASE DAY BLITZ


Fatal Abduction

Release Day Blitz

November 3, 2014


There’s a serial killer at large. His victims just happen to resemble Kaitlyn—dark haired, pale skin and athletic build. Kaitlyn goes undercover, attending a prestigious high school to try to lure the killer into a trap and save the lives of other potential victims. Will she be able to catch the killer before his body count rises? Or will she become the next victim?



My Review

There’s a serial killer at large. His victims just happen to resemble Kaitlyn—dark haired, pale skin and athletic build. Kaitlyn goes undercover, attending a prestigious high school to try to lure the killer into a trap and save the lives of other potential victims. Will she be able to catch the killer before his body count rises? Or will she become the next victim?
In the beginning the reader is made aware of Kaitlyn's transformation into a cyborg and to be entirely honest at that point i sort of rolled my eyes and went -oh dear...- but actually that says more about my inate prejudism of sci fi literature than it does this book! Crane doesnt treat this as a focal point! In fact Kaitlyns abilities are in no way rubbed in the readers face and instead, by the end, I found them charming. In a lot of ways she was present...but not really able to process emotions like she was locked inside of herself. Any way I digress.
Kailtlyn and the team are determined to find and capture the 'dolls house murderer!
The scenes where Crane described the murderer's state of mind were chilling and yet very inciteful, while you werent left pitying him, you were left wondering more and more about why he was, the way he was and that, in my opinion, is a triumph! i've been a fan of James Patterson for years and Fatal abduction reminds me a little of a cross between Stephen King and Patterson! it has the unconventional edge of King and yet the psycological profiling of Patterson.
In my opinion this book is easily a 4-4.5 star read! 

Interview with Julia!

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Hmm, I honestly don’t think of this while I write, but I think it’s inevitable that little messages slip in. For Fatal Abduction, I would have to say its the fact that we all take life for granted when it really could end at any moment.
What were the challenges in bringing IFICS to life?
No more than usual. When I write, the story unfolds before me. I never really know what’s going to happen. And usually my ideas come to me at the strangest times, when I’m not thinking about the book at all, such as while on a walk, washing dishes or driving in the car. I think when my mind is relaxed creativity is at its best.
What genre do you consider fatal abduction to be? (crime? sci fi? thriller?)
I think this one would fall under Sci-Fi thriller. But each book in the series is different. Book 1 I would say was Sci-Fi romance, book 2 was much darker. The subject of human trafficking can be hard to read.
If you were to go back is there anything you'd change?
Oh there are always things to change. But you have to trust your editors and the story. If you keep tweaking, it would never be released.
Did you find it difficult to balance Kaitlyn's human and cyborg side?
It is a strange balance. In my mind I think of Kaitlyn as someone that has Asperger’s when I write her story. Because she does have human elements but she often has a hard time relating to people. And she’s so logical.
I found Fatal Abduction to be an enthralling read, even though i hadn't read the previous books in the series, would you say that i'm missing a lot of background and would understand the character development more if i read the other two and then fatal abduction again?
Freak of Nature is more of a prequel. It’s where we find out how Kaitlyn became a cyborg and what she had to go through to accept her role. But after that, the books are individual missions, so I believe each subsequent book can be read alone without missing out.
Elliott's character had some serious mental issues, did you research any particular psychological conditions to help with his character? (absolutely loved the way he was written)
I know this sounds strange but I’ve always had a slight obsession with serial killers. Even as a teenager I would check out tons of books on serial killers, both fiction and non-fiction, from the library. I just find the subject so interesting. Were they born this way or did society make them? I think it’s a bit of both.
What is the toughest criticism you've faced since becoming you first began writing and how has it effected you?
I’ve had some pretty bad reviews. And at first it cut pretty deep and caused self-doubt. However, when the positive reviews by far out way the negative, you learn to grow thicker skin. It’s ridiculous to think that everyone will love your book. People are too varied in taste.
Do you have a specific writing method? ie a daily word count etc?
I set aside from 10-2, six days a week to write. I don’t have a specific word count, but I like to at least get 1,000-1500 words, or I know I’m slacking.
What books have most influenced your life?
This question is so tough. Nancy Drew began my reading obsession and sparked the dream of becoming a writer. But I truly believe that every single book we pick up to read has at least one sentence in it that we were meant to read. So in that sense they have all influenced me. And I’ve read A LOT of books.
Who is your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Gah. Another tough question. I’d have to say Ayn Rand. Her books really make you think about human nature. I also love Ken Follett, he can weave a story like no ones business. I’ve never seen anyone else handle so many characters so flawlessly. And he makes you care about every single one of them. That’s true talent.
There's a rather controversial story circulating about an author who -for want of a better word- ''stalked'' a blogger after a particularly nasty review, what're your views on the authors reaction and the group of bloggers that have decided to ''black out'' all existing authors/new releases for 14days in ''protest''? (clearly my sister and I have refused to take part!!)
I try to avoid drama at all cost. I just let it roll off my back and don’t take part in it.
Are you writing anything right now? would you share a teaser line with us? -cheeky request-
I’m working on a NA witch novel. I haven’t picked a title yet, but I’m really exited... I’ve missed working with paranormal elements.
The stranger moved with a loose, easy confidence that bordered on arrogance. It was the gait of someone who knew he was capable of handling anything thrown his way.
Faint voices floated around her, but all she could focus on was him.
To her dismay Kalista felt her heartbeat ratchet up a few notches. By the gods, sex literally oozed out of his pores.

~*~ABOUT JULIA CRANE~*~


Julia crane is the author of the Keegan’s Chronicles, IFICS. She has a bachelors degree in criminal justice. Julia has believed in magical creatures since the day her grandmother first told her an Irish tale. Growing up her mother greatly encouraged reading and using your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment