Thursday 23 October 2014

Tijan Interview!!!!

Tijan Interview!!







We were super lucky to have this amazing author permit us an interview! Thank you so much for your time Tijan!


How do you structure your storylines? First to last chapter? Or another way?
Generally first to last chapter, but that’s not always. With Mason and Fallen Fourth Down, I wrote different sections of the book and moulded them together during the editing process. I'm doing the same with Sustain right now, but Jaden is being written from beginning to end. If I'm in a certain mood and can’t get a certain scene out of my head, I’ll just write it then and there rather than trying to force myself to write it at a later time when I might not be in the same mood.

Do you have any writing rituals or superstitions?
I don’t think so. I usually always need a beverage with me, though. I need good music. If I find a great new album, then I can write much better for some reason.

Do you have any specific characters that you see aspects of you own personality in?
All of them do. They all come from within me, through my lens and perspective.

Who's your inspiration?

No one. Sometimes I’ll find quotes that inspire me, but I don’t look up to a certain person and hope to be like them. I've had influences like a book that Martin Luther King Jr. wrote and I read in college that was very inspirational.

What made you decide to self publish?
I’m horrible at querying agents. I queried three agents and received some good feedback, but the whole process was overwhelming to me. There’s so many different agencies and all of them had different requirements. I just wanted to write, not spend months figuring all of that out so after the three responded, I just wrote. The decision to publish happened because I read an article of another author who got a big publishing deal because her selfpubbed books had done so well so that gave me an idea to maybe try and make some money that way. Then, when I had to evacuate from a huge flood and I was out of work for a week, I went to my parents’ house and got Jaded edited and ready to be published. I slowly published two more after that over the next year and a half.

Did you find it difficult to write so many different genres?
No, I don’t look at them as genres. They’re just the next project for me and that storyline from my head. Usually when I’m done with the book, I’ll look and figure out what genre they fit in. Sometimes that’s the hardest part. lol

What did you want to be when you grew up?
It changed. I was convinced growing up that I was either going to be a marine biologist or a lawyer. I didn’t want to move away from my family so the marine biology was out and when I went to college, my first humanities college was so boring to me that I knew being a lawyer was out too. After that, I switched to psychology and ended up going to graduate school for counselling. The year before grad school is when my love for writing kicked in and it was hard to put that aside, to go for the ‘safe’ job. After I was done, it didn’t matter to me. I chose a job that wasn’t too stressful for me and would open up a lot of time where I could dedicate to writing.

If you were being sent to a desert island for a year what 5 things would you take?
My fiancé, my puppy, a phone, computer (with internet), and clothes. Coffee would be nice too.

You write about true love... Do you describe it from experience? Or what you hope it'd be?
Oh geez. Some of it may be from experience, but I’ve never really thought about this question. I’ll say a mix of both, also what every person wants in life.

Is Logan ever going to bone Sam? #Team Logan (Belinda)
Uh….you’ve not read Fallen Fourth Down? I can’t answer this, for those who haven’t read it.

Was there much research involved in writing Carter Reed?
I don’t remember doing much research. I think I researched guns one day, but I didn’t need to at the end. I might’ve researched different job titles so Emma’s job sounded somewhat realistic.

What is your earliest book related memory?
When I started. It really just happened by accident. I was on vacation at my family’s cabin and they had a very very old computer. I grew up with a huge imagination with a ton of storylines in my head, but I didn’t know they were storylines. I just daydreamed a ton, but that day, I couldn’t handle it and I had to get them out. Once I started typing them out on my dad’s old computer, it clicked with me and I knew that’s what I had to do whether or not anybody read my work.

Which book/series did you have the most fun writing?
I love writing the Fallen Crest books. I’ve written so much of them that it’s hard to stop my mind from creating all these different storylines. When it comes to the big books, I have to define and narrow a lot of extra information into the storyline that the series is following. To be honest, I don’t know if I’ll be able to stop writing these guys after I’m done.

Who designs your covers?
I’ve purchased a few pre-mades from Mae I Design and Cover It Designs. The main designer I work with is Lisa Jordan Photography, but I’ve done some of my own as well. I usually have an idea, do a mock-up, and send it to Lisa with the instructions for her to do her magic. She always sends something back that’s way better and more beautiful than I could’ve imagined.

When you aren't in the writing cave what do you do in your spare time?
Being lazy. Watching television, spending time with my fiancĂ©, and playing with my puppy. Otherwise if I’m not doing those, I’m cleaning or on facebook and joking around with my friends.

What genres do you like to read? And are there any you steer clear from?
I’ve been enjoying paranormal romance lately. I devoured a ton of New Adult awhile back, but since I write it, I think that’s why I moved into paranormal. It’s just different and not something I’d write. There’s not much I steer clear from. If it’s a good book, I’m down to read it.

Who do you see as the perfect Mason, Logan and Carter?
To be honest, I don’t have anyone in mind. I usually just refer to the book covers, but I like to let readers have their own images in their heads.

Are you still surprised when readers contact you to thank you for sharing your books?
I love those messages! And yes I am. Some of them are so humbling that it fuels me to keep writing.

When did it dawn on you that you were 'making it' as an author?
I always feel weird with this question because I’m hesitant to say that I am. I was able to quit my job and write full-time. To me, that means I’m successful, but it’s always a crapshoot. I never know when people will stop reading my books and I always know that day may come. It won’t matter to me, though. I’ll always write and I’ll always publish. I just appreciate that people enjoy my books. That means so much to me.
Was Mason always going to be the Kade that got the girl? #Team Mason (Lily)
Haha! Again, I can’t answer this question.


If you haven't read any of Tijan's books Fallen Crest High is free!

Here is where you can find Tijan! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment